Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PVGP - That tme again 2015

PVGP - That tme again 2015 10 Apr 2014 23:06 #17030

• linderpat
  • Senior Forum Member
The Pittsburgh Vintage grand Prix - now in its 33d year. Come join hundreds of your fellow p-car enthusiasts as we again gather on the lawn at Schenley Park to enjoy our cars, the races and above all, the camaraderie that has grown over the years. We always have a nice gathering of sharks - the 928 Owner's Club has been one of the sponsors of this event for the past several years. Now is the time to register and get this event on your calendar.

The PVGP takes place in scenic Schenley Park in the heart of Pittsburgh. This is one of 2 vintage races that occur on public streets in the world, the other being Monaco. It is also a significant charity fundraiser – proceeds are donated through the PVGP to the Autism Society of Pittsburgh and the Allegheny Valley School.

This year promises to be the best yet, with the Janis Joplin Porsche from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and with some new events taking place, like the Top 10 Peoples’ Choice, a concours open to all registered Porsches. Here are the highlights of the activities to enjoy:

Friday, July 17:
• Weekend kick-off at the Double Wide restaurant in Cranberry Township PA – our local Club (ARPCA) will host the out of town clubs travelling to participate in the PVGP. This is our second annual hosting. There will be plenty of good cheer, a live band (in the works – stay tuned) at a venue right next to the hotels and turnpike just North of the City. It will also include a nice impromptu gathering of Porsches of all varieties. All local and distant sharks welcome. Starting at 5 pm to ?

Saturday, July 18:
• International Car Show on the Golf Course – over 2000 cars on display
• ARPCA Catered Tailgate Party (starts at 12:00 Noon - open to all participants who register through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Top 10 Peoples’ Choice Concours (open to all Porsches registered through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Door prizes
• Vintage Racing Time Trails (come see many classic and vintage Porsches and othe great marques participating in the races throughout Schenley Park.)

Sunday, July 19:
• Porsche Car Show
• ARPCA Catered Picnic (starts at 12:00 Noon - open to all participants who register through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Vintage Car Races

General prices are as follows:

• Saturday or Sunday registration for 1 car and TWO people: $85 (includes parking, door prizes, lunch and soft beverages)
• Additional meal ticket for either day: $20 per person

To Register, go to our Club's website at arpca.com/2015/02/pvgp-2015/

See you at the races!

Note: Pre-registration closes July 15th at 11:59 PM. We may accept a limited number of late registrations (until Friday 12:00PM) but your credit card will be immediately charged and no refunds will be issued. Registrations after this point will be completed on-site at the Porsche Registration Table.

Contact me (Club event chair) with any questions – Ed Rice at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 21 Jun 2015 19:12 by linderpat. Reason: update event
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PVGP - That tme again 13 Apr 2014 12:03 #17039

• mm928
I definitely need to make one of these,,, sounds like a lot of fun. I am just coming back from Europe the week before though so might be tight this year..... will see.
1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

PVGP - That tme again 19 Jun 2014 06:12 #17319

• linderpat
  • Senior Forum Member
One month out folks! Time to register. This year promises to be an exceptional event. We have a number of sharks coming in from out of town too. Also, check out the website, as we have discounts at 5 hotels for the out of towners.

PVGP - That tme again 21 Jun 2014 16:40 #17329

• SteveG
  • Junior Forum Member
Just registered. Pre-registration closes July 13th, I don't know what financial penalties are in store if you wait to last minute. I assume there will be info or an attempt to park together?? If, as advertised, there are 2000 cars there, we need to find a landmark or something. Not quite like Hershey.

Rendezvous at Ricks? I have no idea if that is advisable geographically.

PVGP - That tme again 26 Jun 2014 20:46 #17340

• WyattsRide
  • Platinum Forum Member
SteveG;17722 wrote:
Just registered. Pre-registration closes July 13th, I don't know what financial penalties are in store if you wait to last minute. I assume there will be info or an attempt to park together?? If, as advertised, there are 2000 cars there, we need to find a landmark or something. Not quite like Hershey.

Rendezvous at Ricks? I have no idea if that is advisable geographically.

For any out of towners like yourself Steve, we'll have a plan together to get you guys from your hotel/B&B to a meeting place like Eat n Park in Wexford and then to Schenley Park. Even though there will be 2000 or so cars, they are all grouped together by manufacturer. When you arrive, you will be directed to where all the Porsches are parked (GATE E I believe). I'll be helping park the Porsches as they come in, so I'll already have a spot designated (just like the last few years) for just the 928's. I'll have the 928 OC sign there. We will also have a spot under a tree close to our cars for our group.

About 3:00 pm I'll be able to lead the group back to Wexford where you can either go back to your Hotel/B&B for a rest. Or come straight to my house with me to start the party. Hopefully anyone that stops off at their Hotel/B&B will show up later at my house.

As far as a penalty for not Pre-Registering. If you are not Pre-Registered and you arrive, you will have to pay right there or will not be able to park with the Porsches. The cost will be the same or slightly higher.

PVGP - That tme again 15 Jul 2014 22:37 #17390

• linderpat
  • Senior Forum Member
Reminder for Friday night get together at the Double Wide - details:
Welcome Party at the Double Wide Grill / 4p – ???

Double Wide Grill
100 Adams Shoppes
Rte 228
Mars, PA 16046
(724) 553-5212

Come to join all of the out of town PCAers at the Double Wide Grill in Mars!

One of the most unique car-themed locations in the region. Porsche Only Parking!

Pay on your own but DoubleWide offers Great Food & Plenty to Drink

PVGP - That tme again 23 Jul 2014 10:46 #17407

• WyattsRide
  • Platinum Forum Member
Some pictures of a outstanding event. The 928OC items were again a hit and hope we end up with a couple more members because if it.

Saturday Morning (turn out was low because of rain)
Mine, Otto's, Steve's and Jim's.

My house Saturday night. Five 928's ! (mine's in the garage) :D

Otto's, Steve's, Ron's and Jim's.

Sunday was much nicer weather and more 928's!

Mine, Gary's, Tom's and Ed's. (Otto and Steve came later)

PVGP - That tme again 26 Jul 2014 15:53 #17416

• mm928
Looks great, I really want to make it one year...looks like th overcast sky gave you some good colors on the cars though....!
1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

PVGP - That tme again 30 May 2015 09:32 #18322

• linderpat
  • Senior Forum Member
That time of year again - if you haven't done one of these events, now is the time to do so. Here are the details for this year:

Porsche_Type_356C_Cabriolet_1965_view_1.jpg

The Pittsburgh Vintage grand Prix - now in its 33d year. Come join hundreds of your fellow p-car enthusiasts as we again gather on the lawn at Schenley Park to enjoy our cars, the races and above all, the camaraderie that has grown over the years. We always have a great gathering of Porsches. Now is the time to register and get this event on your calendar.

The PVGP takes place in scenic Schenley Park in the heart of Pittsburgh. This is one of 2 vintage races that occur on public streets in the world, the other being Monaco. It is also a significant charity fundraiser – proceeds are donated through the PVGP to the Autism Society of Pittsburgh and the Allegheny Valley School.

This year promises to be the best yet. We will have the Janis Joplin Porsche 356 this summer, on display direct from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum, and on loan to our Club (Allegheny Region Porsche Club of America - ARPCA) by the family of Janis Joplin. A very special car for a spectacular event! The Joplin Porsche will be displayed "Under the Tent" as the center piece of a display of special cars. Also, in light of this very special exhibit, we will also display an additional 10 Porches "Outside of the Tent", in a semi-circle around the main display. If you would like to have your car considered for this companion exhibit, please send the request with car details to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. The donation for this display is an additional $150 for each day (regular registration also applies). This is a once in a lifetime chance to have your car parked next to this iconic Porsche!

Here are the highlights of the weekend activities to enjoy:

Friday, July 17:

• Weekend kick-off at the Double Wide restaurant in Cranberry Township PA – our local Club (ARPCA) will host the out of town clubs travelling to participate in the PVGP. This is our second annual hosting. There will be plenty of good cheer at a venue right next to the hotels and turnpike just North of the City. It will also include a nice impromptu gathering of Porsches of all varieties. All local and distant sharks welcome. Starting at 5 pm to ?
  • We will also have a Rally this year, leaving at 2 pm from the Double Wide, and returning there by 5 for the Welcome Party. this will be a fun drive through the rolling hills of SW PA.

Saturday, July 18:

• International Car Show on the Golf Course – over 2000 cars on display (Italian cars are the PVGP Marque for 2014)
• ARPCA Catered Tailgate Party (starts at 12:00 Noon - open to all participants who register through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Top 10 Peoples’ Choice Concours (open to all Porsches registered through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Door prizes
• Vintage Racing Time Trails (come see many classic and vintage Porsches and other great marques participating in the races throughout Schenley Park.)
•Joplin Porsche 356 on display

Sunday, July 19:

• Porsche Car Show including Joplin 356 on display
• ARPCA Catered Picnic (starts at 12:00 Noon - open to all participants who register through the ARPCA website and msr)
• Vintage Car Races

In addition, there are many other events taking place in the week and a half up to race weekend, including the big bore historic races at Pitt Race, and the Walnut Street Invitational Car Show, among many other car events. The PVGP is becoming a major car event in the East.

General prices are as follows:

• Saturday registration for 1 car and TWO people: $85 (includes parking, door prizes, lunch and soft beverages)
• Sunday registration for 1 car and TWO people: $75 (includes parking, door prizes, lunch and soft beverages)
• Both days together registration for 1 car and TWO people: $150 (includes parking, door prizes, lunch each day and soft beverages)

• Additional meal ticket for either day: $20 per person

To Register, go to our Club's website at arpca.com/2015/02/pvgp-2015/. Limitations on refunds apply.

Also, we have a group rate of $104 at the Hyatt Place Hotel in Cranberry Twp, PA. Mention our club (ARPCA) to get the discount. more details on the ARPCA website.

Contact me (Club event chair) with any questions – Ed Rice at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 21 Jun 2015 19:14 by linderpat.

PVGP - That tme again 01 Jun 2015 12:08 #18325

• billvvSU
  • Administrator
Added this event to the Calender.

Ed, let me know if you want to edit the entry - I think I can change the ownership to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: linderpat

PVGP - That tme again 21 Jun 2015 19:15 #18345

• linderpat
  • Senior Forum Member
Thanks Bill. That would be good.
Ed

PVGP - That tme again 21 Jun 2015 20:53 #18346

• billvvSU
  • Administrator
Ed,
You are now the owner of that Calendar entry!

Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: linderpat

PVGP - That tme again 21 Jun 2015 20:56 #18347

• linderpat
  • Senior Forum Member
Thank you Bill!

PVGP - That tme again 2015 22 Jul 2017 16:43 #19895

• Rich928
  • Administrator
Wow, history was made with preproduction press cars #1 and #6 on display.

No1no6928sDSC02612L.jpg

Left/White: Number 1 Porsche 928 (S-CX 2132 as licensed in 1977) and Right/Red # 6 (S-CX 2137 as licensed in 1977).
In the background is Ed Rice’s beautiful Minerva blue 1978 928.

AndrewPhinney1VIN928DSC02606L.jpg

Andrew Phinney and his #1 Porsche 928

AndrewPhinney1VIN928DSC02666L.jpg

Fahrgestell-Nr. (we call it VIN) 92088100011. Porsche started the VIN sequence at 11, so 11 = #1

JimDoerrand6928DSC02614L.jpg

Jim Doerr with his #6 Porsche 928. I’d be smiling too if I owned a piece of history!

AndrewPhinney1VIN928DSC02700L.jpg

Background of number 1

JimDoerrand6928DSC02586L.jpg

Background of number 6
Attachments:
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast

PVGP - That tme again 2015 22 Jul 2017 16:47 #19896

• Rich928
  • Administrator
Congratulations to Ed Rice!

EdRiceLarrySmithAwardDSC02828L.jpg

Ed Rice, the 928 OC member & PCA member who has coordinated the event for many years and owner of a pristine 1978 Porsche 928, was presented the Larry Smith top recognition award of the event for his years of dedication … not by the PCA but by the PVGP group! It was great to be there for that.

EdRiceMinervaBlue928DSC02547L.jpg

EdRice1978928DSC02550.jpg

EdRice1978928DSC02549L.jpg

Ed's beautiful Minerva Blue 1978 Porsche 928 was one of the 10 cars that won the People's choice award.
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast

PVGP - That tme again 2015 22 Jul 2017 23:06 #19897

• linderpat
  • Senior Forum Member
It was great to meet you Rich, and Bill too. So much 928 knowledge and history at this PVGP. It will go down as the best one in my tenure. If you are a fan or student of the 928, this was the event to attend.
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 2.694 seconds