Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Guidelines for 928OC Event Support

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 14 May 2013 22:16 #14732


  • Posts:77 Thank you received: 1
  • gregn928's Avatar
  • gregn928
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 1
All,

The 928OC Board has just approved the attached Guidelines for 928OC Event Support. Thank you to Gary Knox for drafting the original document and to the rest of the board for going through it a couple of times, providing suggestions and edits.

Regards,
Greg Nichols
928OC Secretary

Attached files Guidelines for 928 Owners Club Events, May 2013.pdf (208.1 KB)
Greg Nichols
1987 928S4
928OC Charter Member
928OC Secretary
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 14 May 2013 22:59 #14735

Greg, thx for posting the guidelines.

One quick question which Im sure of the answer, are the funds expressed in US dollars?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 14 May 2013 23:10 #14736


  • Posts:77 Thank you received: 1
  • gregn928's Avatar
  • gregn928
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 1
Yes.
Greg Nichols
1987 928S4
928OC Charter Member
928OC Secretary
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 15 May 2013 09:00 #14740

thx Greg.

Given that its possible some event attendees may not be driving a 928 is the expectation those would also be charge the incremental $28? example, PCA members/spouses of attendees.

Also, how are lifetime members managed? I believe they are exempt of OC membership fees.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 15 May 2013 09:29 #14741


  • Posts:66 Thank you received: 1
  • Marc White's Avatar
  • Marc White
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Hello Malcolm, my take on this would answer those questions as follows:

The $28 charge would apply to the main member or 928er. The main member may bring guests, family, etc. The idea is to either gain a member through the fees or extend the existing member for a year.

There are very few lifetime members that I am aware of but in that case they would be exempt from the $28.

Thanks
Marc
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 15 May 2013 09:44 #14742

thx Mark.............for Sharks on Ice 2014 we may issue event wristband type for the event attendees but we may have other locals, PCA, Ferrari, Aston Martin etc who could 'stop over' :)

Theres at least one lifetime member attending :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 15 May 2013 14:46 #14748


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Some questions and comments on the Guidelines document.

What does "expects to be able to support the event " mean in paragraph 2? Does it mean that:
1. The OC expects to have sufficient funds in its treasury to support the event.
2. The OC expects to have the opportunity to support the event.
3. The OC expects to have the organizational ability to support the event.
4. Something else?

Am I correct that the OC no longer provides general financial support to the OCIC but just support for the purchase of OC branded memorabilia?

The Guidelines in paragraph 3 seem to indicate that any member that organizes a Meet or Event notify the OC and fill out a form, whether or not they want financial support from the OC. If I happen to be a member and also want to organize a meet of 928 owners at a cars and coffee (at no cost to anyone), does the OC expect me to send in a form? I don't think that was the intent, but that is the way it seems to read.

One of the Guidelines recommends automatically embedding a years' membership into the OCIC fee. That seems strange in that it makes the event more costly (and therefore less attractive) for existing members. Given that most of the attendees will be existing members it can seem like a thinly disguised way for the OC to extend the membership of existing members rather than a way to encourage new members. Better to have two entry fees, one for members and one for non-members with the one for non-members being higher by the cost of membership plus, say, $10.00.

Document Scope:

Paragraph 3 also states that "This document provides guidelines for requesting support from the 928 Owners Club Board."

There's a portion of the Guidelines that provide criteria for the OCIC, however. Are these a condition for financial support or for the OCIC event itself? If it's only for financial support as the document emphasizes, then if an event organizer decides to call their event the 'OCIC' but does not request support do the criteria still apply? (Since they are not making a financial request there's nothing to approve.)

I think the intent was for the criteria to apply to any OCIC, but nowhere in the document is there a statement that the use of the words '928 Owners Club' or 'Owners Club' or 'Owners Club International Convention' in the context of Porsche 928s are reserved for the Owners Club itself and assignable to events at the discretion of the Club. If that were stated then the criteria and some of the Guidelines could be made requirements for the use of the name.

The Guidelines state that the "Organizer(s) are responsible for all financial aspects of the events. The total responsibility of 928 OC will be the contribution toward event memorabilia approved by the Board at the time of event approval". Again, does the OC approve the memorabilia support request or the event itself? I think the document needs to be clear about what the guidelines, criteria, and approval process describe and address. Is it just the memorabilia contribution, is it the event that uses the OC or OCIC name, or both? Or is it really a request to use the OC name which, once approved, provides some requirements, some guidelines, and a budget for memorabilia?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 15 May 2013 16:33 #14750

Bill has asked similar questions we have also.

The admin of collecting the incremental $28 per primary attendee is offset by possible support of memorabilia which from 2 of last years events I attended were tshirts that had the 928OC insignia applied.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 16 May 2013 12:00 #14771


  • Posts:66 Thank you received: 1
  • Marc White's Avatar
  • Marc White
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Hi Bill, I'll try to take some of this...my replies will start with ** in the body below: (It should be noted these are only my replies and not word from the Board)


Some questions and comments on the Guidelines document.

What does "expects to be able to support the event " mean in paragraph 2? Does it mean that:
1. The OC expects to have sufficient funds in its treasury to support the event.
2. The OC expects to have the opportunity to support the event.
3. The OC expects to have the organizational ability to support the event.
4. Something else?

**Probably all of those. The document in this conversation is part of the support, as well as access to organizers with experience and the help of the Board and Members.

Am I correct that the OC no longer provides general financial support to the OCIC but just support for the purchase of OC branded memorabilia?

**These guidelines offer support in the form of an approved amount towards OC branded memorabilia. This is not to say the Board would not entertain the support in other ways as in sponsorship of a reception or help with a meal for example. There are many considerations obviously and are often quite different for each event.

The Guidelines in paragraph 3 seem to indicate that any member that organizes a Meet or Event notify the OC and fill out a form, whether or not they want financial support from the OC. If I happen to be a member and also want to organize a meet of 928 owners at a cars and coffee (at no cost to anyone), does the OC expect me to send in a form? I don't think that was the intent, but that is the way it seems to read.

**Nope, we don't want it to appear that way. This isn't Russia is it? :-) We just sometimes don't edit everything perfectly. Thanks for pointing this out but we want to support any 928 event if the organizers wish some help but in no way are we expecting a form on any and every event.

One of the Guidelines recommends automatically embedding a years' membership into the OCIC fee. That seems strange in that it makes the event more costly (and therefore less attractive) for existing members. Given that most of the attendees will be existing members it can seem like a thinly disguised way for the OC to extend the membership of existing members rather than a way to encourage new members. Better to have two entry fees, one for members and one for non-members with the one for non-members being higher by the cost of membership plus, say, $10.00.

**Yes there was some discussion about this. It started as a way to increase the membership by embedding the cost of that for one year. In subsequent years if the attendee was a member then he was extended for a year. It is not disguised thinly or otherwise but is a logical way for the Club to encourage membership. Any complaints of tracking the fees and collecting are without merit. Having done this myself several times now all you have to do is print out an attendee sheet, identify the members and include $28 per member to the Club. It might take 20 minutes if you don't keep good records but as an organizer I submit you should keep good records!

Document Scope:

Paragraph 3 also states that "This document provides guidelines for requesting support from the 928 Owners Club Board."

There's a portion of the Guidelines that provide criteria for the OCIC, however. Are these a condition for financial support or for the OCIC event itself? If it's only for financial support as the document emphasizes, then if an event organizer decides to call their event the 'OCIC' but does not request support do the criteria still apply? (Since they are not making a financial request there's nothing to approve.)

I think the intent was for the criteria to apply to any OCIC, but nowhere in the document is there a statement that the use of the words '928 Owners Club' or 'Owners Club' or 'Owners Club International Convention' in the context of Porsche 928s are reserved for the Owners Club itself and assignable to events at the discretion of the Club. If that were stated then the criteria and some of the Guidelines could be made requirements for the use of the name.

**OK this is a good point and since there has been considerable effort by the Club and past organizers to adhere to a high set of standards with especially the OCIC, the Club could in subsequent conversations elect to make the use of certain names meet certain requirements. Thanks, we didn't expand the scope in this guideline piece. Are you available for consultation for future pieces? This Board doesn't profess to be lawyers but are trying to get down something to help the Members.

The Guidelines state that the "Organizer(s) are responsible for all financial aspects of the events. The total responsibility of 928 OC will be the contribution toward event memorabilia approved by the Board at the time of event approval". Again, does the OC approve the memorabilia support request or the event itself? I think the document needs to be clear about what the guidelines, criteria, and approval process describe and address. Is it just the memorabilia contribution, is it the event that uses the OC or OCIC name, or both? Or is it really a request to use the OC name which, once approved, provides some requirements, some guidelines, and a budget for memorabilia?

**Yep, there are expectations for the OCIC in particular about using that name and how to approach certain tasks. Perhaps we can revisit this and make this more clear. Please if you have suggestions for revisions I'm sure the Board would be all ears! Thanks a million! All good points. Marc White

__________________
Bill Van Vlack
Seattle, Washington
'89 S4 Dunkelblau/Linen
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 17 May 2013 15:45 #14793


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Mark,
I'm not a lawyer either, but my engineer's brain works in its own strange fashion.

I've made some changes to the document based on the discussion above - mostly re-arranging but also identifying and separating policy from guidelines. I sent you a PM requesting your email address because PMs don't allow file attachments; once I get that I'll send you my changes. Happy to post them here as well but I'd appreciate another set of eyes to correct any glaring issues before doing so.

In a somewhat different tangent... my personal opinion is that the OCIC should step up and produce the OCIC (and hold the annual meeting then and there as well), in partnership with a Regional group. I really think that if the Club and a Region pulls off an OCIC, the Club and the Region will end up being much stronger and cohesive. It also removes private handling of OC funds. Insurance is a non-issue; a few hundred dollars a year.

Either way, we have the makings of an OCIC Committee from the members that have already produced an event. They could provide guidance and experience to an organizer or Region, and demonstrate OC support. They could also review the applications and recommend to the Board. Nothing like volunteering someone else, right?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 17 May 2013 20:42 #14796

hb4;15161 wrote:
In a somewhat different tangent... my personal opinion is that the OCIC should step up and produce the OCIC (and hold the annual meeting then and there as well), in partnership with a Regional group. I really think that if the Club and a Region pulls off an OCIC, the Club and the Region will end up being much stronger and cohesive. It also removes private handling of OC funds. Insurance is a non-issue; a few hundred dollars a year.

Not a lawyer either, another engineer ;)

Not sure how the above works in international locations where the 928 population is spread very far and very thin.

The OCIC event last year held in Witchita, Kansas (central USA) had strong support from the local folks (Mark Lives there IIRC) as well the substantial Texas group (Roger and Jim organised the event).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 18 May 2013 12:47 #14804


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Hi Malcom
malcolm;15164 wrote:
Not a lawyer either, another engineer ;)

Sorry to hear that .....:rolleyes:

Not sure how the above works in international locations where the 928 population is spread very far and very thin.

If you were the Regional organizer, probably very well.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 19 May 2013 11:12 #14811

Bill, wrt to the event next year in the Calgary area I am the regional organiser which may become an OCIC . The exec of the club could indeed hold there annual meet at the gathering given that a quorum attends. The exec will be voted on this Sept so there is potential of new folks on board :)

The guidelines provide timeframes to submit for support well in advance of the event so we are hopeful the inputs given address the tweeks needed.

Mark, please advise if the suggestions are being discussed and when the final guidelines will be published.

tia.......Malcolm
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 22 May 2013 12:35 #14849


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Marc White;15139 wrote:
**Yep, there are expectations for the OCIC in particular about using that name and how to approach certain tasks. Perhaps we can revisit this and make this more clear. Please if you have suggestions for revisions I'm sure the Board would be all ears! Thanks a million! All good points. Marc White

I do have suggestions; how do I make the Board aware of them?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 22 May 2013 21:30 #14853


  • Posts:2239 Thank you received: 2
  • If something is worth doing it is worth OVER DOING!
  • pcar928fan's Avatar
  • pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Post them here or send a PM or email to any Board member you like... We are pretty casual around here...not so much on the Robert's Rules of Order! ;)
James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
80 Arrow Blue / Gray GT Class Racer
81 Light Blue Metallic / Brown-Beige
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black SuperBlu
95 Green / Black #51
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 23 May 2013 01:22 #14859


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
pcar928fan;15221 wrote:
Post them here or send a PM or email to any Board member you like... We are pretty casual around here...not so much on the Robert's Rules of Order! ;)

Yes, I can see that.

The forum apparently has a rule that will not let me attach a document to a PM so I've attached my suggestions in the form of a draft re-write here in PDF form. I'm happy to forward a Word file to a Board member (the Secretary?) if it's helpful once I have an email address, dropbox address, or somesuch.

The draft has pretty much the same meaning as the present Guidelines except hopefully clarified by reorganizing and separating policy from (optional) guidelines. The other major changes are adding reservation of the use of the OCIC name to the Club, support in the form of general (unassigned) funding - see Marc's comments above - and an alternate attendance fee structure for the OCIC.



Attached files BVV Draft Guidelines for 928 Owners Club Events.pdf (93.1 KB)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 30 May 2013 16:46 #14925


  • Posts:66 Thank you received: 1
  • Marc White's Avatar
  • Marc White
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Hello Bill, sorry I have been on the road and just saw your reply and work on the guidelines and PDF. Many thanks for your work here. FYI my email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as I am not very regular on the forum...

I will look this over and respond soon, with input from the Board but we all thank you for your help clarifying our intent.

Malcolm, please contact me with any questions or comments and we'll try to get any concerns addressed. Honestly we don't want to be difficult to work with and truly exist to support the 928 community. Our intentions are good!

Best to all,
Marc
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 30 May 2013 18:19 #14926


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
No problem, Marc; Thanks for responding and for your work on behalf of the Club.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 30 May 2013 20:13 #14927

Marc White;15293 wrote:
Malcolm, please contact me with any questions or comments and we'll try to get any concerns addressed. Honestly we don't want to be difficult to work with and truly exist to support the 928 community. Our intentions are good!

Best to all,
Marc

thx Marc.......we contributed to Bills suggestions and await how they will be received.

I do appreciate that some are not difficult where others can be but lets leave that discussion until Sept.

Looking forward to reviewing the revised guidelines at the earliest opp.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 09 Jun 2013 20:01 #15029


  • Posts:148
  • linderpat's Avatar
  • linderpat
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
are these final yet? If so, where can I find the final version? What is the version control protocol? Are you using rev dates, etc?
Thnx
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 11 Jun 2013 20:05 #15057


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Ed,
It seems to me that the original Guidelines are final until and unless the Board passes a updated version. My (unsolicited) draft revision is just that; an unsolicited draft in which Marc sees some value and seems to be carrying it forward. I dated it in the footer. Not aware of an official version nor version control process.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 12 Jun 2013 07:21 #15065

As we are fast approaching one year until our Sharks on Ice event final guidelines, the duration and version control would serve greatly in our decision making.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 04 Sep 2013 20:01 #15828


  • Posts:107
  • ROG100's Avatar
  • ROG100
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Having read the new "rules" regarding OCIC support from the OC ----

1) No financial responsibility from the OC what so ever
2) Must be an OCIC event benefiting the OC to the detriment of the organizers.
3) Only support is trinkets that advertise the OC and no investment in the event at all.
4) Rules that require fiscal reporting that no other sponsor requires.
5) Requires membership sign up that costs the organizer money.
6) Why not go with a better sponsor who can reach out to thousands of 928 owners and not just the circa 400 in the OC.
7) I would pay more than the OC to have my company name at the top of the list - just saying - wake up and smell the coffee.

Just food for thought.
Roger
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 04 Sep 2013 21:51 #15836


  • Posts:77 Thank you received: 1
  • gregn928's Avatar
  • gregn928
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 1
Roger,

The guidelines indicate that the expected support level for an OCIC is $1000 to $2000. I wouldn't call that "trinket" money.

For an OCIC, the board is willing to provide support beyond the hats and shirts that are typically provided at smaller events. (Hence the much larger dollar amount.) However, the board does not dictate to the event organizer what, exactly, the support funds must to be used for. Instead, the organizer has creative license to come up with an idea and propose it to the board.

Marc White tried to clarify this point in one of his statements back in post #9 of this thread where he says that sponsorship of a banquet would be an acceptable form of support. Again, that is just one example. It's really up to the event organizer to decide how they think OC funds could best be utilized to support their event and then pitch the idea to the board.

I think that is a reasonable way to handle it. Such an approach provides flexibility to the organizer, but limits the financial responsibility of the 928OC to a known dollar amount.

Regards,
Greg
Greg Nichols
1987 928S4
928OC Charter Member
928OC Secretary
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 04 Sep 2013 22:39 #15837


  • Posts:107
  • ROG100's Avatar
  • ROG100
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Greg,
Up to you and the OC - just pointing out all the pitfalls to a small organization like the OC.
I am happy to sponsor more than $2k to promote my company with none of the petty rules and regulations associated with the OC giving there "blessing" to an OC sponsored event.
So you are happy to put forward a couple of thousand $ to cover a dinner or other function at an event even though it was stated publically that this would never be allowed to happen again after the dinner was sponsored by the OC at Wichita - your super leader Stan Shaws words not mine. Not exactly what I read in your rules and regs. However good to hear that you will now do this.
Best,
Roger
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 00:02 #15838


  • Posts:77 Thank you received: 1
  • gregn928's Avatar
  • gregn928
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 1
Roger,

Please don't be negative and open up old wounds. Let's move forward in a positive manner. That was then, and this is now.

As long as the organizers of the next OCIC work with the OC board well ahead of time and propose a reasonable plan of action, I'm sure things can be worked out reasonably.

Obviously the OC does not have the resources to completely sponsor an OCIC event. The costs need to be spread out among the attendees, the OC and other sponsors.

Regards,
Greg

p.s. They are not "rules and regs." They are guidelines. The OC board is willing to be reasonable and work with the organizers of the next OCIC to make it a successful event. So, please stop being so negative.
Greg Nichols
1987 928S4
928OC Charter Member
928OC Secretary
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 07:16 #15843


  • Posts:1160
  • srshaw3's Avatar
  • srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Roger Tyson;16210 wrote:
Greg,
So you are happy to put forward a couple of thousand $ to cover a dinner or other function at an event even though it was stated publically that this would never be allowed to happen again after the dinner was sponsored by the OC at Wichita - your super leader Stan Shaws words not mine. Not exactly what I read in your rules and regs. However good to hear that you will now do this.
Best,
Roger

Forever the need to rewrite history with false statements, eh Roger?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 15:21 #15844


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Greg,
To be fair, the document reads like requirements in some parts and guidelines in others. Use of 'shall' and 'must' in portions of the document imply requirements, where the words 'should' and 'may' imply guidelines.

If I understand your recommendation, a prospective sponsor should contact the Board and begin a process of negotiation to be allowed to use the OCIC name for their event and receive funds and memorabilia. I suspect that there are provisions in the Guidelines that in the Board's opinion are non-negotiable (given the demise of the GJ OCIC) and perhaps these should be made clear.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 19:28 #15845

Bill......the event organiser contacts the club and begins process and for the event being organised in Western Canada for 2014 the parties are in discussion.

It is of interest that the club may provide a $1000/2000 for an OCIC then expects $28 from each participant with an expected attendance of 60-150.

The extreme math of: 150*$28=$4200 minus the $1000 doesn't quite balance especially when the adders of bank fees and organisers time are also included.

As stated we are in discussion and are hopeful we reach a solution that appeases all :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 20:13 #15846


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Malcom....
The fee is not mentioned in the Guidelines but perhaps because it's not a 'guideline', but a 'requirement'. Otherwise, wouldn't we expect to see the guidelines revised?:rolleyes:

I suppose it would have to be added to the attendance fee - I can't imagine where else it would come from unless a sponsor wanted to pick it up. All in all, it seems very strange.

Glad you're in discussions, in any event.

Perhaps any Club member that is chosen to plan and produce an OCIC should then be appointed by the Board to be a Trustee for the year preceding the event to give both parties some perspective. Anyone willing to take on the OCIC to certainly has the skills, energy, and interest to qualify for the position in my book!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 20:45 #15847


  • Posts:107
  • ROG100's Avatar
  • ROG100
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Greg my intention was not to be negative at all but to try and bring some perspective into the discussion in an effort to help the OC.
The OC should be actively campaigning to get a person/group to hold an event or on an even grander scale an OCIC Event. They should not be setting Rules/Guidelines that in any way dissuade anyone from taking on this momentous task.
Having NO financial involvement in the event apart from sponsorship (like any other sponsor) then requesting full financial accounting does not make any sense at all. What business is it of the OC???
To embed membership requirements costs any organizer money. The OC gets the $28 but the organizer loses between 2.5% and 5% on the transaction on the money transfer. Why would anyone want to do that??
For the OCIC in Wichita I was able to get a "good" friend to set up our successful web site at a cost of about $450 IIRC. So additional costs are present to be able to take the membership payments. Talk to James Willman and ask him what fees are paid on membership payments if you do not believe me.
The OC should be asking a potential organizer WHAT they can do to ensure the OC name is linked in some way with a 928 centric event not laying down "SPIKES" in the road that prevent that ever happening.
Yours trying to be positive.
Roger
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 20:50 #15848


  • Posts:107
  • ROG100's Avatar
  • ROG100
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Forever the need to rewrite history with false statements, eh Roger?

How quickly your addled brain forgets the history - an example of your rhetoric ---
This is the first time the 928 OC has expended $2800 on an event. It is important for the member to know what the value of it is. When 20 members have an event that is provided $300, they get what the put in, so there is no issue. When @50 members have an event that cost the club $2800 they are taking far more of their share of the 928 OC resources, and the members who do not attend should understand that, particularly when there is indicators that a change in the leadership plans on throwing this as an annual party for the few that attend.

One of your more polite statements - I have plenty more if you wish to extend your "forgetfulness"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 21:18 #15849


  • Posts:1160
  • srshaw3's Avatar
  • srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Roger Tyson;16221 wrote:
How quickly your addled brain forgets the history - an example of your rhetoric ---



One of your more polite statements - I have plenty more if you wish to extend your "forgetfulness"

It is your addled brain Roger, you posted:
"So you are happy to put forward a couple of thousand $ to cover a dinner or other function at an event even though it was stated publically that this would never be allowed to happen again after the dinner was sponsored by the OC at Wichita - your super leader Stan Shaws words not mine. Not exactly what I read in your rules and regs. However good to hear that you will now do this."

Then in support of it, you post some irrelevant post.
You will not find that I posted what you now claim.
I did not post something would "never" happen.

I expect nothing more of you then negativity and lies.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 21:37 #15851

hb4;16219 wrote:
Malcom....
The fee is not mentioned in the Guidelines but perhaps because it's not a 'guideline', but a 'requirement'. Otherwise, wouldn't we expect to see the guidelines revised?:rolleyes:

I suppose it would have to be added to the attendance fee - I can't imagine where else it would come from unless a sponsor wanted to pick it up. All in all, it seems very strange.

Glad you're in discussions, in any event.

Perhaps any Club member that is chosen to plan and produce an OCIC should then be appointed by the Board to be a Trustee for the year preceding the event to give both parties some perspective. Anyone willing to take on the OCIC to certainly has the skills, energy, and interest to qualify for the position in my book!

Bill, from the guidelines:

"A one year membership fee (currently $28) shall be embedded in the registration cost for all principal OCIC attendees. Club members current at the time of registration will receive one additional year added to their membership. Non-members at the time of registration will receive a membership application, and may obtain a one year membership for no additional charge by completing and submitting that form. Organizers will send these membership additions to the OC Membership Chair ASAP after the event, and remit the fees to the Club Treasurer as specified in the Finances section".

btw.......I was a trustee, thx :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 22:20 #15852


  • Posts:146
  • hb4's Avatar
  • hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Malcom,
I see; it's the membership fee thing in the Guidelines. That's always seemed screwy to me. I think Marc pointed out that it was part of the fee for the first OCIC since not very many people were OC members at that time.

It's kind of like magazine subscriptions that send renewal notices halfway through the term so that if you get tired of the magazine you still have a year to go.

Two options for non-members makes more sense to me; one that has a surcharge over the members' fees to offset the OCIC support per member (so that the OC is not supporting non-members), and one that equals the member fee plus a membership. The OC is made whole and gets new members, the members fee is less so it encourages attendance, and the producer has an easier time getting attendees.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 22:38 #15853


  • Posts:77 Thank you received: 1
  • gregn928's Avatar
  • gregn928
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 1
Thank you, Roger. That seems like a much more civil tone, and I appreciate it.

Regarding credit card, etc. processing fees, take a look at the example on the front page of the 928OC website. You can see the PayPal fee is added to the amounts and it even says "PayPal fees included" just to be clear.

To run an event, the organizer has to have some method, likely on-line, to collect the various fees from attendees. Once that's set up, the extra effort to collect the $28+fee from each primary registrant is minimal. From the event organizer's perspective, it's just a matter of including an additional $29 or $30 in the registration fee and explaining to the attendees that since this is an OCIC event, their 1-year new or extended OC membership is included in the attendance fee. According to Marc White, this is what was done for the Wichita OCIC events, and it did not seem to stir up complaints at the time. So, that's how the logic for embedding the renewal fee was explained to me when it came up during board discussions.

When the OC provides a large sponsorship I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a post-event accounting. The OC board has a responsibility to the members to make sure that member funds are spent wisely, and being able to see the event's income and expenses is simply a way to have a written record of that.

Based on some of the other comments you made, it sounds like you may have in mind a completely different way that you think the OC should be handling OCIC sponsorship, but you haven't explained it yet. So, if you have a different and better approach, what is it?
Greg Nichols
1987 928S4
928OC Charter Member
928OC Secretary
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 22:49 #15854


  • Posts:77 Thank you received: 1
  • gregn928's Avatar
  • gregn928
  • Junior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 1
hb4;16225 wrote:
Two options for non-members makes more sense to me; one that has a surcharge over the members' fees to offset the OCIC support per member (so that the OC is not supporting non-members), and one that equals the member fee plus a membership. The OC is made whole and gets new members, the members fee is less so it encourages attendance, and the producer has an easier time getting attendees.

Bill,

I'm sorry. I'm not following you. Maybe if you could provide an example with some dollar figures I'd be able to get it.
Greg Nichols
1987 928S4
928OC Charter Member
928OC Secretary
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 23:06 #15855


  • Posts:107
  • ROG100's Avatar
  • ROG100
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Stan Shaw - good riddance to you my friend maybe the OC can prosper in your demise - I will not continue your stupid game - maybe the OC Board can muzzle you once and for all.
Done nothing and continue to do nothing but be a thorn in the side of the OC - glad to see I am not proved wrong and that you have not changed one iota. You are such a small dot in the possible future of the OC (if they want a future). Continue to change all the rules you like but your involvement will continue to melt away.
Yours very un-respectfully,
Roger
PS : With a bit of luck I will be excommunicated for calling you out for what you really are.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 23:23 #15856


  • Posts:107
  • ROG100's Avatar
  • ROG100
  • Senior Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
When the OC provides a large sponsorship I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a post-event accounting. The OC board has a responsibility to the members to make sure that member funds are spent wisely, and being able to see the event's income and expenses is simply a way to have a written record of that.

Greg - I can't believe you stand by this statement - You (OC) have no involvement or interest in the fiscal responsibility of the event apart from being a sponsor allowing you the "pleasure" of gaining from the hard work of the organizers and yet you ask them to justify their work to you (the OC) financially - sorry but you and the OC are SO wrong. That is so disrespectful and so out of the norm. My company sponsor more events than the OC and never have I asked for financial reporting - so why the OC - are you above common business practices - are you (the OC) super special??? When Pirelli sponsored $800 worth or tires did they ask for FULL fiscal reporting????
When I report for tax reasons it is a "line item" and I do not need to support the reasons for making that decision.
I just sent you a check for $200 for sponsoring the "Frenzy" no request for fiscal reporting was mentioned at all.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Guidelines for 928OC Event Support 05 Sep 2013 23:41 #15857


  • Posts:1160
  • srshaw3's Avatar
  • srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
  • OFFLINE
  • Karma: 0
Roger Tyson;16228 wrote:
Stan Shaw - good riddance to you my friend maybe the OC can prosper in your demise - I will not continue your stupid game - maybe the OC Board can muzzle you once and for all.
Done nothing and continue to do nothing but be a thorn in the side of the OC - glad to see I am not proved wrong and that you have not changed one iota. You are such a small dot in the possible future of the OC (if they want a future). Continue to change all the rules you like but your involvement will continue to melt away.
Yours very un-respectfully,
Roger
PS : With a bit of luck I will be excommunicated for calling you out for what you really are.

Just keep posting Roger, so the world can see you for what you are.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 2.137 seconds