Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: OCIC in Canada

OCIC in Canada 29 Jan 2013 13:40 #13364

Folks.....we have the opportunity to host an OCIC event in Western Canada (not confirmed but probably close to Calgary, AB) in 2014.

As the distance from our larger 928 cities in the US is vast and the need to cross an international border with a passport I was hopeful we could guage attendance well in advance with a simple poll.

We fully appreciate the OCIC 2013 event in Grand Junction may (with Witchita in 2012) and Canada in 2014 consumes many precious vacation days and funds.

Appreciate your inputs.....Malcolm

OCIC in Canada 29 Jan 2013 13:58 #13365

• jcorenman
  • New Forum Member
malcolm;13722 wrote:
Folks.....we have the opportunity to host an OCIC event in Western Canada (not confirmed but probably close to Calgary, AB) in 2014.

As the distance from our larger 928 cities in the US is vast and the need to cross an international border with a passport I was hopeful we could guage attendance well in advance with a simple poll.

We fully appreciate the OCIC 2013 event in Grand Junction may (with Witchita in 2012) and Canada in 2014 consumes many precious vacation days and funds.

Appreciate your inputs.....Malcolm

Malcom,

Calgary (or vicinity) would be great, and we would certainly attend provided it was not scheduled on a major holiday.

Cheers, Jim & Sue
The administrator has disabled public write access.

OCIC in Canada 29 Jan 2013 17:45 #13371

• ROG100
  • Senior Forum Member
Malcolm count me in - will greatly depend on the date.
Looking forward to it.

OCIC in Canada 29 Jan 2013 22:28 #13384

• If something is worth doing it is worth OVER DOING!
  • pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
There is a line in the OC by-laws that has been ignored over the years talking about the club holding a regular "annual" meeting... I think that was initially to be the OCIC, but they never got going as annual and then no other meeting was designated at the "annual meeting of the OC" so that point in the by laws has been over looked throughout the years. Hope we can turn that around. Might not be an annual OCIC, but in off years we should probably look at designating one of the "regular" events as the "OC meeting".

I hope I can make it to Canada as well... I have never been across our northern border and I'd LOVE to go...especially if it is cooler than Texas during the summer!
James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
80 Arrow Blue / Gray GT Class Racer
81 Light Blue Metallic / Brown-Beige
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black SuperBlu
95 Green / Black #51

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 03:57 #13389

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
pcar928fan;13742 wrote:
There is a line in the OC by-laws that has been ignored over the years talking about the club holding a regular "annual" meeting...

My perception of that part of the by-law was so the board members would discuss club business. With the advent of technology, such in person meetings were not necessary to do club business, so instead we handled club business electronically and in an ongoing manner.

The by-laws were written before it was even remotely feasible to "meet" electronically, so before the technology of the 'net was available, such "live" meetings would be necessary to operate a board.

So, we didn't ignore it, but rather used technology to have constant contact with each other about club business, and run the club in a more consistent fashion ongoing.

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 08:19 #13390

pcar928fan;13742 wrote:
I hope I can make it to Canada as well... I have never been across our northern border and I'd LOVE to go...especially if it is cooler than Texas during the summer!

we hope you can also James.......I have been in your country 1000s of times.

It will be cooler, guaranteed :D

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 11:06 #13394

• hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
This seems to imply that the annual meeting is a meeting of the members, not just the Board.

VIII. MEETINGS
8.1. Annual Meeting. The annual meeting of the Club shall be held at such time, date and place during the month of July of each year or as the Board of Directors may determine. If, for any reason, the annual meeting is not held at such time, the Board of Directors shall cause to be held a special meeting of the members called as soon thereafter as convenient.

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 11:17 #13395

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
hb4;13752 wrote:
This seems to imply that the annual meeting is a meeting of the members, not just the Board.

VIII. MEETINGS
8.1. Annual Meeting. The annual meeting of the Club shall be held at such time, date and place during the month of July of each year or as the Board of Directors may determine. If, for any reason, the annual meeting is not held at such time, the Board of Directors shall cause to be held a special meeting of the members called as soon thereafter as convenient.

Yes, and similarly via the forums, there is an ongoing meeting between members including board members. Nor is it ever likely that all members would assemble at one time in one place. The largest gatherings have only assembled less than 25% of the membership. While the electronic forums are available to all members all the time.

Just my opinion, but physical meetings are antiquated, others may choose differently of course.

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 11:20 #13396

• Kiln_Red
Couldn't agree more, Stan. Well said.

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 12:07 #13398

so, regardless as how the club conducted business in the past, the 928 gatherings I have attended always bring out much discussion, one of the bigger topics board voting and OCIC events.

I posted this thread to guage interest in an OCIC in Canada before we spend one Canadian dime :).........same thread on RL has all positive response.

Should also add much encouragement from previous organisers and our current Pres

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 12:09 #13400

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
Was just pointed out by our lawyer newsletter editor... I agree that we can carry on business well electronically, but there is nothing better than a face to face meeting to get to know folks. I think there are to FEW face to face meetings anymore. But I am very social so a bit different than the average person I guess.
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
95 Green / Black #51

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 12:36 #13403

• hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
Yes, and similarly via the forums, there is an ongoing meeting between members including board members.

I think the participants in the forum would be surprised that they are participating in a formal meeting.
Nor is it ever likely that all members would assemble at one time in one place. The largest gatherings have only assembled less than 25% of the membership. While the electronic forums are available to all members all the time.

Then change the By-Laws.

By the way, the By-Laws state that a quorum of a meeting of the members is 10% of the membership. That's about 40 people, I think.

It's all academic, though, because there's no provision or requirement for business to take place at the annual meeting, so what's the purpose except to satisfy some legal requirement (are there any)?

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 13:18 #13406

• Calgary Ole
  • New Forum Member
Count me in Malcom...

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 13:40 #13407

• Kiln_Red
Bill,

Maybe there is a better venue for you and Stan, or whomever else, to address your concerns about the by-laws than Malcolm's thread about holding an OCIC in Canada. We can and should spend some time thinking about club formalities and such, but I don't think it should be priority #1. After all, this is a car club. I don't know that any of our current board members have law degrees. Nor do I necessarily think there would be any advantage if they did.

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 14:02 #13408

• hb4
  • Senior Forum Member
Kiln_Red;13765 wrote:
Bill,

Maybe there is a better venue for you and Stan, or whomever else, to address your concerns about the by-laws than Malcolm's thread about holding an OCIC in Canada. We can and should spend some time thinking about club formalities and such, but I don't think it should be priority #1. After all, this is a car club. I don't know that any of our current board members have law degrees. Nor do I necessarily think there would be any advantage if they did.

Just trying reconcile assertions with facts. If the offending posts can be moved to another thread, I'm all for it. I'd be happy to delete mine if that helps.

I apologize if anything I've said implied that Malcom's offer of holding an event was not a good idea or distracted from it. On the contrary, I'll be there with bells on! It's a great idea and very generous of Malcom, and is close enough to be an easy two day drive from Seattle.

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 15:11 #13409

Kiln_Red;13765 wrote:
Bill,

thx Austin.

Bill, look forward to seeing you in Calgary :)

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 15:12 #13410

Calgary Ole;13764 wrote:
Count me in Malcom...

good man Ole :D

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 15:43 #13411

folks.......heres a potential location:

Attached files

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 22:48 #13417

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
Very pretty!!! Wow!
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
95 Green / Black #51

OCIC in Canada 30 Jan 2013 23:18 #13420

• jcorenman
  • New Forum Member
hb4;13766 wrote:
...is close enough to be an easy two day drive from Seattle.

Or one day from Anacortes :D

This is going to be fun!

Cheers, Jim & Sue

OCIC in Canada 31 Jan 2013 11:26 #13424

• stepson
  • Premium Forum Member
Man, I loved Calgary the one time I was there. Good job Malcolm.

But that picture looks a lot like Banff. But I like Banff, too.

What are the speed limits in Canada? Are we all going to jail for excessive speed?

OCIC in Canada 31 Jan 2013 17:45 #13428

John..........the picture is of a hotel West of Calgary in Kananaskis, not to far from Banff but outside the National Park.

Speed limits are 110 kph on the major hwys but its very much like Tx..........if your going the limit your in the slow lane being passed by everyone :)

OCIC in Canada 31 Jan 2013 19:26 #13431

• 928mac
That would be very cool and you know I would come down.
Bring your Radar detectors and enjoy the roads

OCIC in Canada 21 Mar 2013 10:01 #13963

• Jim M.
  • Junior Forum Member
Malcolm I also will be there!

Anything I can do to help, I'm just an e-mail away.

Jim M.

OCIC in Canada 21 Mar 2013 12:31 #13964

excellent Jim..........thank you.

Currently looking at the calendar as to when its best suited between all the bigger 928 events.........we are not thinking early July, it might snow :)

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 12:03 #14067

• otisp
  • Junior Forum Member
Hi. New member, it would be nice to have an event so close. I can actually meet some of you people!
I think I can say that the entire Saskatchewan chapter of the OC would be there. :D

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 14:27 #14068

where in Sask are you? perhaps we can meet this year?

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 15:32 #14069

• otisp
  • Junior Forum Member
We're in North Battleford, an hour east of Lloydminster. Not far from you, you're just north of Calgary, right? That's about 4 1/2 or 5 hours. Once the cars are on the road (bit of a story there), we probably could easily get together.

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 19:19 #14072

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
I love the idea of time and distance for you guys in Canada, "Not far from you...That's about 4.5 - 5 hours." LOL! I can be out of Texas (and I live in the middle of this VERY BIG STATE) in about 5 hours two different directions...perhaps three if I head to Laredo to exit the US vs. Brownsville! LOL!
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
95 Green / Black #51

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 20:06 #14076

James............Brad and I have hooked up a few times, we live 10 hrs apart.......one way........big big country :)

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 22:59 #14077

• 928mac
The closest town to Fort McMurray is 2 hr north by ice road and 2.5 hr south by highway.
These are small 12000 pop towns. The closest city Edmonton, is 4.5 to 5 hr south which is about 100 k south of the center of Alberta. Calgary is 3.5 hrs south of Edmonton
It took me 2 days of driving north/west from Toronto to get out of Ontario and 2 more days to get to Alberta.

We only have 10 provinces to your 50

I believe that Canada is the second largest country next to Russia and the US is 3rd not far from Canada by only 3.5 thousand square kilimeters

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 23:11 #14079

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
Canada is HUGE! The only reason the US is even close though is because of Alaska, which some might argue is really just more Canada, NOT US! Put that on the Canada side and we would be WAY behind! Nor sure if that would be enough extra land mass for you guys to catch Russia though.

The distances you guys travel really is mind boggling... TX is pretty big and when folks come here from the NE they just can't believe it, I bet they would really be in shock if they traveled to your neck of the woods!
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
95 Green / Black #51

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 23:19 #14083

larger country, most larger cities on the US border and a tenth of the population........ive travelled most the world with my career..........Canada is where its at if you can handle the cold.

OCIC in Canada 27 Mar 2013 23:27 #14084

• 928mac
I hate to cold Malcolm.
I am thinking of moving closer to you in maybe the next 2 years anyway

OCIC in Canada 28 Mar 2013 00:15 #14087

• otisp
  • Junior Forum Member
Yes, at this point in my life (I'm 48) I hate every snowflake that falls, and by association every person that likes those snowflakes. It is the end of March, it was about -5F here last night, and I have 1000ft high snowbanks on my back deck.
I have shoveled my driveway almost every morning before work since Oct 21st
I think I need to move soon too;)

OCIC in Canada 28 Mar 2013 11:54 #14088

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
It is a completely different way of life for you guys up there!!! Glad to be down here in TX, but it is really hot for half the year here! Not that I want to change with you guys in the snow though!! That is worse!
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
95 Green / Black #51

OCIC in Canada 28 Mar 2013 12:04 #14090

• Kiln_Red
Canada is beautiful. I hope to be able to attend as well. :)

OCIC in Canada 28 Mar 2013 13:38 #14091

pcar928fan;14454 wrote:
It is a completely different way of life for you guys up there!!! Glad to be down here in TX, but it is really hot for half the year here! Not that I want to change with you guys in the snow though!! That is worse!

I spent many business trips in the Dallas area in your summer and I wouldnt want that anyday..........2/3 the year up here and winter down there.....best of both worlds :cool:

OCIC in Canada 28 Mar 2013 13:40 #14092

Kiln_Red;14456 wrote:
Canada is beautiful. I hope to be able to attend as well. :)

would be great to have you Austin........theres already a large commit from Tx.

OCIC in Canada 17 Aug 2013 18:54 #15664

confirmed dates and location:

Delta Lodge Kananaskis, AB, Canada

July 25, 26,27

we'll announce rates etc asap

thx all for the support so far :)
  • Page:
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 1.089 seconds