Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fluid replacement

Fluid replacement 26 May 2010 18:39 #325

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Forum Member
It's time to rebuild my brakes, new ss lines, redo the calipers,and I was wondering what type of brake fluid to use.I dont plan on driving on the track, but I do plan on drivingthecar.
Also was wondering about the benefits of full synthetic oil? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Dave.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fluid replacement 26 May 2010 20:54 #326

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
87 Shark;349 wrote:
It's time to rebuild my brakes, new ss lines, redo the calipers,and I was wondering what type of brake fluid to use.I dont plan on driving on the track, but I do plan on drivingthecar.
Also was wondering about the benefits of full synthetic oil? All opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

I haven't heard of any benefit of using just standard DOT 3 brake fluid on the street. You can't really get beyond that level and still retain your license, since threshold braking is frowned on when used on the street, particular if you do it at each corner :)

I believe synthetic oil doesn't break down as quickly, but of course it can still get dirty, so some of the extended drain intervals might not be advisable.

Fluid replacement 27 May 2010 09:36 #328

• 928mac
928racer;350 wrote:
I haven't heard of any benefit of using just standard DOT 3 brake fluid on the street. You can't really get beyond that level and still retain your license, since threshold braking is frowned on when used on the street, particular if you do it at each corner :)

I believe synthetic oil doesn't break down as quickly, but of course it can still get dirty, so some of the extended drain intervals might not be advisable.

I completely agree with Racer. To use dot 4 over dot 3 brake fluid would give no benefit but does not harm anything.
I pay the extra buck just because, and use dot 4, but will never come close to its tolerance.
I also agree that oil gets dirty and the dirt dose the damage.
Now I think... that synthetic is slipperier and i use it in my 1/2 ton, it has greater heat qualities and will use it in the porsche only for those reasons. :)

Fluid replacement 27 May 2010 15:05 #329

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Forum Member
Thanks for the info. I plan on the dot4 just because and will use synthetic oil. I use it in my truck but keep the change schedule.I find it slipperyer than regular oil, and like the cold start properties.

Fluid replacement 29 May 2010 03:57 #330

• Kiln_Red
To me, the debate on motor oil is like discussing religion or politics. Every person has their own position and reasons. If i'm not mistaken then I believe Porsche recommended any 0W-40 or 5W-40 oil for the engine. I use Mobil-1 15W-50. My position is that I own a very fine automobile that deserves the finest engineered of every additive it may receive. The 15W-50 is a racing quality oil. I don't race. Rarely even drive it hard. My car is a daily driver though. And with that said, it sees some colder temperatures every once in awhile. I am not interested in gambling on 0W motor oil in sub-freezing weather. :)

Can't go wrong with thicker synthetic blends like the Mobil-1 15W-50. That's my believe.

Fluid replacement 29 May 2010 19:20 #332

• 87 Shark
  • Elite Forum Member
My son works at an auto parts wholesaler and gets great prices on most parts. Fluids and maintenance items. Price is cheapcompared to the price of an engine or tranny. Just want the best because the car deserves it. Thanks again for the input.

Fluid replacement 29 May 2010 19:45 #333

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
My GT is currently running Amsoil 20-50 racing oil :D (because it has a shelf life and the race car is still dissembled)
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds