Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dead Batteries

Dead Batteries 18 May 2010 12:47 #305

• bstevens
  • Junior Forum Member
Suggestions from all. I have a 1991 928 GT. I am having problems keeping the battery charged. I have replaced it twice. I'll install a new one, will start just fine and after about 2 days it will have a bad cell. I have everything turned off. Lights, inside and outside etc. Haven't even been using car alarm. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dead Batteries 18 May 2010 13:03 #306

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
Electrical drains are all too common in 928s.

I have heard of people simply cleaning electrical grounds to resolve issues, to people removing the fuse/relay panel to eliminate all corrosion there to resolve issues.

Greg's site has some tips http://nichols.nu/tip800.htm

I am presuming you are not leaving a light on, or something simple like that.

Dead Batteries 18 May 2010 20:39 #309

• bstevens
  • Junior Forum Member
Thanks for the info. Everything is turned off. I'll ck grounds etc. Thank you.

Dead Batteries 19 May 2010 00:21 #310

• Kiln_Red
928racer;330 wrote:
Electrical drains are all too common in 928s.

You can say that again. I've just recently developed one on my car. Haven't had the time to chase it down yet. That's the bad part of using the 928 as a daily driver, but hey, I have no other options 'til I rebuild the engine in my truck. Though the drain is only about 850 milliamps, if ignored, it will definitely kill the battery.

For now, I'm just disconnecting the battery by way of the wing nut on the battery ground strap when I know I'm not going to be driving for a little while.

Dead Batteries 19 May 2010 00:42 #311

• 928mac
KilnRed;334 wrote:
You can say that again. I've just recently developed one on my car. Haven't had the time to chase it down yet. That's the bad part of using the 928 as a daily driver, but hey, I have no other options 'til I rebuild the engine in my truck. Though the drain is only about 86 hundredths of an amp, if ignored, it will definitely kill the battery.

For now, I'm just disconnecting the battery by way of the wing nut on the battery ground strap when I know I'm not going to be driving for a little while.

Ya guys, 350 milliamps will kill the battery in a week so 850 ml is way to much.
The way to check is to disable the passenger side door switch by unplugging it so that you can pull fuses when you get a meter hooked up. set your meter on amps and plug the positive probe at the meter into its 10 amp hole. Disconnect the negative cable and hook the leads between the cable and the battery. read the draw and start pulling fuses until you find the circuit that kills the draw. That will give you a direction to go

Dead Batteries 19 May 2010 11:08 #314

• bstevens
  • Junior Forum Member
Thanks for everyones input. I will let you all know what I find.
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds