Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lock on gas cap

Lock on gas cap 11 May 2010 18:01 #279

• avanhelden
  • Junior Forum Member
Has anyone attempted to change the lock on the gas cap to match their car?
My cap is looking pretty bad and I have another one but would like to keep its locking capabiltiy with the car's key. I plan to destroy the old cap by removing the plastic around the lock and extract the lock if there is not an already tried and true method, maybe that will reveal a means of removing lock from new cap.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lock on gas cap 11 May 2010 19:21 #280

• srshaw3
  • Platinum Forum Member
I haven't but I sent one door lock to 928intl.com with the key that went to it, as well as the key I wanted it re-keyed to. They were able to do so, by changing the internals of the lock. I would suspect the gas cap would be the same.

Lock on gas cap 16 May 2010 13:03 #290

• avanhelden
  • Junior Forum Member
Since I had a replacement, I decided that destruction of the bad cap would not be a loss so I took a hook which I could insert between the red cap and the white center and then twist behind the white center. By applying a bit of pulling power the first tab moved and repeated effort did the same as the first releasing the red cap from the white center. The locking mechanism sits in the white center and is held in place by the red cap. Just a matter of replacing one locking mechanism for the other and snapping it back in place. You can see in the picture why I wanted t rplace the cap.

Attached files
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds