Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looking for vintage 928 radio

Looking for vintage 928 radio 26 Sep 2020 06:22 #21486

• Jack Houpe
  • Junior Forum Member
Does anyone have a model numbers or pictures for me to search for a 78 and 79 vintage radio? Are they all blaupunkt?

I found what I was looking for on the forum search. Sorry can't seem to delete this post
Last Edit: 26 Sep 2020 06:49 by Jack Houpe.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking for vintage 928 radio 02 Oct 2020 09:49 #21492

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
Hi Jack,
Can you share the link to the info that you found? I'm looking for the same thing and I'm not turning up anything.
thanks!

Looking for vintage 928 radio 02 Oct 2020 10:37 #21493

• Jack Houpe
  • Junior Forum Member
928oc.org/forum/928-oc-technical-discuss...riginal-radios#19789

Its loaded with pictures and model numbers

Looking for vintage 928 radio 02 Oct 2020 11:22 #21494

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
Thanks! Any luck finding them? They are crazy expensive, I think, if you can find them.
I'm starting to look at "near" period correct, eg, Blaupunkt Monterey/Reno/Tucson, which were in the next generation.
However, Roger (928sRus) clued me in that the earlier model's trims need to shaved to fit these (he may have some trim pieces already shaved down). Those trim pieces are apparently becoming very rare and it would be a shame to cut them if not needed to.

Looking for vintage 928 radio 02 Oct 2020 11:35 #21495

• Jack Houpe
  • Junior Forum Member
Yes they are on ebay but you can put a down payment on a house for what they are asking. I inquired about one to see if it worked with no response so you don't know what your buying, some have no knobs which you can purchase for $250! What year is your car? Roger is a wealth of information.

Looking for vintage 928 radio 02 Oct 2020 12:10 #21496

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
Jack Houpe wrote:
Yes they are on ebay but you can put a down payment on a house for what they are asking. I inquired about one to see if it worked with no response so you don't know what your buying, some have no knobs which you can purchase for $250! What year is your car? Roger is a wealth of information.

Yes! This has become my new quest. I have a '79 and an '83. I'm working on the '79 now. There should be a new interior kit coming from Classic 9 Leather shop any time now, which is exciting. But finding a radio has become a thorn. I got the car partially disassembled. This radio/amp was in the boxes. It also had a separate speaker box in the back, that I threw away. My only guess was that it was fashionable to have big speakers in the back of the cars in the '80's

IMG_0832.jpeg

I didn't want to run a separate amplifier, if I didn't need to so I went looking and stumbled on this Blaupunkt Monterey in a junk yard.

IMG_0849.jpeg

But it's missing two knobs, which I foolishly thought that I could find. I'm still hopeful, including posting in a Facebook group for Antique Knobs and Parts, but nothing yet. Most of my inquires to venders who reply say that they have had knobs in the past, but not now, which seems to imply that they get the models in sporadically, and if they don't work, they may part them out. If you are not asking at the moment, the knobs are gone.

I'd like to install the Blaupunkt Monterey, but if I can't find two knobs, I may have to fall back to the other unit and bit the bullet with the aux amp. I have no idea if these work right now, though.

The search hasn't been totally worthless, though, as this quest has led me to some small businesses (hobbies really) that have collections of 928's that they slowly part out. For the early model cars, these guys may be the only source of "unicorn" parts!

Good luck on your quest, too!
Last Edit: 02 Oct 2020 12:16 by joejabq.

Looking for vintage 928 radio 02 Oct 2020 16:14 #21498

• Jack Houpe
  • Junior Forum Member
I have that radio in my 79 the cassette doesn't work and the buttons are stuck on long range radio. I'm wanting original for my 78.

Looking for vintage 928 radio 06 Oct 2020 02:50 #21501

• nluk100
  • Junior Forum Member
joejabq wrote:
Jack Houpe wrote:

Yes! This has become my new quest. I have a '79 and an '83. I'm working on the '79 now. There should be a new interior kit coming from Classic 9 Leather shop any time now, which is exciting. But finding a radio has become a thorn. I got the car partially disassembled. This radio/amp was in the boxes. It also had a separate speaker box in the back, that I threw away. My only guess was that it was fashionable to have big speakers in the back of the cars in the '80's

IMG_0832.jpeg

I didn't want to run a separate amplifier, if I didn't need to so I went looking and stumbled on this Blaupunkt Monterey in a junk yard.

IMG_0849.jpeg

But it's missing two knobs, which I foolishly thought that I could find. I'm still hopeful, including posting in a Facebook group for Antique Knobs and Parts, but nothing yet. Most of my inquires to venders who reply say that they have had knobs in the past, but not now, which seems to imply that they get the models in sporadically, and if they don't work, they may part them out. If you are not asking at the moment, the knobs are gone.

I'd like to install the Blaupunkt Monterey, but if I can't find two knobs, I may have to fall back to the other unit and bit the bullet with the aux amp. I have no idea if these work right now, though.

The search hasn't been totally worthless, though, as this quest has led me to some small businesses (hobbies really) that have collections of 928's that they slowly part out. For the early model cars, these guys may be the only source of "unicorn" parts!

Good luck on your quest, too!

Why don't you take one of the knobs to a 3D printing shop and they should be able to replicate it?
'89 928 GT

Looking for vintage 928 radio 06 Oct 2020 06:22 #21502

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
[/quote]
Why don't you take one of the knobs to a 3D printing shop and they should be able to replicate it?
[/quote]

That's a great idea! I'm on it!

Looking for vintage 928 radio 21 Oct 2020 06:51 #21526

• joejabq
  • Premium Forum Member
Jack,
If you haven't found one for your '78, I just saw this:

928classics.com/parts-store/porsche-cr-radio-stereo-typede/
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds