Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rear spoiler

Rear spoiler 27 May 2020 16:22 #21232

• jaypit
  • New Forum Member
Rear spoiler lifted from/stripped from retaining bolts. Any remedies/ suggestions?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rear spoiler 14 Jun 2020 16:53 #21285

• martinss
  • Platinum Forum Member
Here's what I did: 928oc.org/forum/928-oc-member-car-profil...4?limitstart=0#15924

The repair has held for 7 years so far. The key thing is making a connection from the remaining stub the old metal stud to the head of the new bolt with epoxy. If you try to glue to the wing foam it won't last of course. If there is not a stud stub left you have to find a way to attach to the metal reinforcement deep inside the wing.
Last Edit: 14 Jun 2020 16:54 by martinss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaypit

Rear spoiler 14 Jun 2020 21:40 #21286

• jaypit
  • New Forum Member
Many thanks for replying to post— for some reason access denied— as a new member any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?

Rear spoiler 15 Jun 2020 06:56 #21287

• martinss
  • Platinum Forum Member
It's in the members' profile area. I'm not sure why you can't access it.

Here is a cut-and-paste:

The rear wing is in great shape, except that one of the securing studs is sheared off level with the hatch surface. It looks like the nut rusted in and someone broke the stud removing the bolt:

In comparison, the ones on the other side are great:

I searched on RL for a solution, and then posted a question.

I assumed that the stud and surrounding white plastic is cast into the wing in one piece, and that attempts to remove the broken stud by twisting or pulling will rip the white plastic out of the wing. Actually, there is a whole metal structure below the plastic.

My plan was to cut off the protruding piece of stud, drill out the rest of the stud in stages (increasing size bits), tap the hole, then remove the head of a metric bolt of the correct size and screw it in to the white plastic, securing it with epoxy.

I cut off the stub. I then attempted to drill the remainder out. I found it very hard to stay centered on the stud, as the drill bit tended to wander to the side, and as soon as it hit the plastic surrounding the stud it drove sideways. In the end, after I was in about 1/4" the white plastic popped out (pic below). I was not keen on repeating this as I drove in to the wing below. So I tried something different.

I noticed that one of my shorter hex head metric bolts was almost exactly the correct length, with the bolt head fully in the recess:

I drilled out the hex socket with a bit so that it actually fitted over the remaining stud stub. I then masked off the wing around the hole and filled the recess with JB Weld. I ensured that the bolt was aligned correctly using the aluminum backing plate that goes on the underside of the hatch between the two holes.

After curing overnight, I scored around the edges of the JB where it had flowed on the masking tape, then peeled off the tape and overlapping epoxy:

After a little bit of grinding with my Dremel and a conical grind stone, here is the result:

I'm going to give it a full 24hr+ to cure before attempting to reattach. The obvious question is, "Will it hold?" TBD...
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds