Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1990 928S4 AC Temp Sensor Problems

1990 928S4 AC Temp Sensor Problems 10 Feb 2018 19:42 #20180

• reckelman
  • New Forum Member
I've been attempting to run down a problem with my external air temperature sensor and its effect on the AC System output. My 1990 928 digital display shows the exterior temp as -40. Which cause the heater valve to be wide open while the AC output is trying to reach 65 degrees. The exterior sensor has been replaced, resulting in no change to the -40 display. System ac lines, compressor, dryer and freon all working fine. Electrical continuity to the external air sensor has been checked along with the heater valve and vacuum lines.

Any suggestion on what to checkout to fix the problem?

Rick Eckelman
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1990 928S4 AC Temp Sensor Problems 16 Feb 2018 00:18 #20184

• Rich928
Hello Rick,

The dash display temperature has no effect on your automatic A/C - Heat control. The sensors involved are the inside sensor which is to the right of the center AC vent (behind the grill) and the external sensor which is actually located on the intake of the alternator vent tube (see the illustration below, item #23). Check the connection to the sensor.

There is a vacuum operated heater water flow valve located to the rear of the engine under the air filter box (illustration item #3). If the valve fails (doesn't hold vacuum) the fail safe is full heat. If the vacuum line comes disconnected, the valve opens to full heat. So this could be the cause of your problem. I suggest replacing this valve every 10 or 15 years along with the hose (illustration item #4) as the valve and hose do fail.
ExternalACTempSensordiagram.jpg

ExternalACTempSensordiagramPartNumber.jpg

HeaterWaterValve.jpg
Rich
Membership Chairman
Charter Member
1993 928 GTS Cover Girl
1987 928 S4
1979 928 5-speed rescue
1979 928 5-liter track beast
Last Edit: 16 Feb 2018 00:19 by Rich928.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: reckelman
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 1.054 seconds