Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ruptured Oil Line

Ruptured Oil Line 12 Nov 2017 10:18 #20072

• Shanman03
  • Junior Forum Member
1980 928 base automatic. ~135k. Owned for almost a year. After a great Sunday morning drive during our first cold morning in Houston, for H-Town that's anything below 50f, I pulled into my driveway and was greeted with thick white smoke bellowing from the engine. A lift of the the hood revealed oil burning off the engine. My biggest fear was a blown head gasket, however looks like I may have "lucked" out. After removing the air filter the problem was clearly this ruptured hose.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
What is in this line?
Ok to just remove or do I need to drain something first?
What type of hose should I buy to replace?

Was it just heat and old age that caused it? I'm sure being in contact with the intake manifold caused it to see higher temps than other hoses.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ruptured Oil Line 16 Nov 2017 19:25 #20076

• Shanman03
  • Junior Forum Member
So, update my 928 cam as close to bursting into flames as one can get. Let this be a lesson to others out there, check these rubber fuel lines. Its pretty easy to check, just remove the air filter/intake. No telling how old mine were, maybe original 37 year old high temp hoses. They will not last forever. I am a lucky one it could have very easily started a bad fire.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds