Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1988 928S4 Instrument Panel

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 26 Oct 2016 10:33 #19335

• dbenke
  • Junior Forum Member
My odometer has stopped working. Also, my gas gauge was intermittently working but would sometimes stick at FULL. No it is forever stuck at FULL.
Is it possible to repair the indivdual gauges? Or, do I need to replace the entire instrument panel?

Thank you.

Darrell
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 27 Oct 2016 20:53 #19336

• mrgrinch2000
  • Junior Forum Member
Darrell,

The odometer on my 1987 S4 just stop working. Gas gauge reads 3/4 full when I have a full tank.

Online research shows a few sites to buy replacement gears for odometer and instructions on how to DIY
Gas gauge seems to be somewhat elusive to fix.

My skill level is intermediate and wondering if it would be better to take the gauges out and send them for repair.

I am currently looking for a place in Canada to see what cost would be for a professional to repair.

How are you making out with your solution?

Mr Grinch

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 01 Nov 2016 17:34 #19337

• dbenke
  • Junior Forum Member
Well, not very well.
I just got the report from the repair shop.
They are saying the sending unit in the gas tank needs to be replaced at a total cost of $1700, with the part costing ~$900.
Seems very high to me as I can get as I believe I can get a fuel level sensing unit for around $600.
Also, the car is idling terrible and they are suggesting I flush the entire fuel system as old/stale fuel could be the cause. Also, they are saying they need to remove the sending unit to adequate flush the tank and all fuel components.
Any advice?
I will shop around on the parts/repair. This is the first time using a new euro-car repair center which has excellent reviews/ratings.

Thanks!

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 02 Nov 2016 19:21 #19339

• y33trekker
  • Junior Forum Member
Depending on your location, other repair shops may be available. If you post where you are, maybe someone will be able to make an alternative recommendation?

As fas as the gauges in the instrument panel go, the instrument cluster CAN be removed relatively simply if you'll search on the Rennlist 928 forum (or maybe even Google) for 928 "15 minute dash pod removal" (or something along those lines).

As an example, I had an intermittent guage reading on my '90, and cleared it up by disassembling the cluster, cleaning, and resoldering some of the connection points where the individual guages connect to the circuit board/traces. Meaning, that it may not be the sending unit or the guage causing your issue, but simply a bad connection.

Either way, never hurts to get a second opinion, even when there are "experts" with good ratings involved. After all, those good reviews/ratings could have been coming from friends, family, business acquaintances, etc. It happens.
Last Edit: 02 Nov 2016 19:23 by y33trekker.

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 05 Nov 2016 15:48 #19356

• Kiln_Red
I agree with the suggestion to get a second opinion, but I am more an advocate for you to do the maintenance yourself as you'll find the ownership experience much more enjoyable.

I'll provide a diagnostic for you that will require little labor or tools on your part, but you will need a multimeter and a limited knowledge of how to use it.

Let me know if I can be of service.
Last Edit: 15 Nov 2016 07:10 by Kiln_Red.

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 05 Nov 2016 18:58 #19357

• mrgrinch2000
  • Junior Forum Member
Sounds like a relaxing winter project.

I will take you up on your offer. Once I get the instrument panel I will contact you for advice.

Thank you!

Regards,

Mr Grinch

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 30 Dec 2016 11:38 #19456

• mrgrinch2000
  • Junior Forum Member
Now that winter is here I am getting ready to dive in.

Wish me luck!

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 05 Jan 2017 07:29 #19469

• Kiln_Red
What are your findings thus far?

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 13 Jan 2017 17:54 #19488

• SeanR
  • Premium Forum Member
The odometer not working is the typical broken gear. The fuel level reading 3/4 is always misdiagnosed as the sending unit when in reality it is due to a well worn rear backing circuit board on the instrument cluster. Replacing that will eliminate a great many issues with the gauge readings.

1988 928S4 Instrument Panel 23 Jan 2017 15:53 #19504

• LummoxPG
  • Junior Forum Member
Yes, as SeanR has stated the sending unit replacement advice is the usual knee jerk reaction to any fuel gauge issues. My fuel gauge wouldn't read any more than 1/2 full even when it was. This was rectified by pulling the curcuit board and cleaning the connections. Not saying that is the problem but I would say that is where you should start, that said that quote you received seems somewhat high. Pelican Parts can provide you with a new sending unit that will most likely be cheaper than what the dealership quotes and replacing that part is something that you could very well tackle on your own. Should save you a great deal of cash. There are some great write ups on Rennlist and Pelican regarding removal and cleaning of the instrument panel...ok I'll admit that I was a little apprehensive myself with the procedure... all I can say is "if I can do it you can too". Best of luck.
1988 Porsche 928 S4/SE
1993 BMW 535 i
2001 Mercedes CLK 320
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 1.938 seconds