Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 82 US 5 speed, loss of 3rd gear.

82 US 5 speed, loss of 3rd gear. 28 Sep 2016 21:44 #19296

• he_mech_usmc
  • Junior Forum Member
Title says most of it all...lol. I have a 1982 US 5 speed. I was driving last Sunday on the way back home and lost 3rd, or rather, lost the ability to shift into 3rd. I have done some research, and it seems like if it was a bushing issue I wouldn't be able to get it into 1st or 5th either. I can shift normally through all other gears(1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th and Reverse). If I'm rolling, I can't get it into 3rd. If I work through the gears sitting I can almost get it in 3rd, but it won't catch. I haven't been able to get under the car yet(back injury) due to rain here lately (no garage). I was hoping someone may have an idea where I could start as soon as the rain quits. I'd like to get it fixed if possible and get some more driving in before I have to put it up for the year.

TIA,
Josh
You can be a mechanic or technician...The choice is in HOW you fix it, not THAT you fix it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

82 US 5 speed, loss of 3rd gear. 29 Sep 2016 13:56 #19297

• john928
  • New Forum Member
More than likely you expanded the syncro ring for 3rd gear. Only way to fix is to remove the transmission and rebuild. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: he_mech_usmc

82 US 5 speed, loss of 3rd gear. 29 Sep 2016 15:26 #19298

• he_mech_usmc
  • Junior Forum Member
Well, that's not ideal, but not much is with these older cars...lol. Thanks for the response. If it needs to come out, I may just wait until I put it up for the year to pull the trans...and then the saga continues...or maybe I can just do a corvette 6spd conversion...oh the possibilities...
You can be a mechanic or technician...The choice is in HOW you fix it, not THAT you fix it.

82 US 5 speed, loss of 3rd gear. 15 Oct 2016 06:10 #19313

• Kiln_Red
Sounds like definite transmission rebuild in order. I'd go one of two ways. Either send it to Precision Motorwerks (Greg Brown) in Anaheim, CA to have it sorted or pick up another one from 928 International.
The following user(s) said Thank You: he_mech_usmc

82 US 5 speed, loss of 3rd gear. 15 Oct 2016 12:16 #19315

• he_mech_usmc
  • Junior Forum Member
I was hoping it wouldn't have to come out, but figured it might. I may pull it out and tear it down to see what's going on. If I can't fix it myself, I may send it out or get ahold of Munks here in Michigan and see what they have to say. Thanks for the input. I'm hoping I can figure it out this winter. I also have the 79 euro to sort out still...
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 1.494 seconds