Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: No Start

No Start 24 Mar 2016 23:32 #18887

• jdtuff
  • Junior Forum Member
Hey everyone, I have a starting issue with my 1988 928 S4. It all started when I went to go for a drive and the car began to turn over and then stopped. I tried again and nothing happened and then on the third try, it turned over again and stopped. All the auxiliary lights, horn and fans still work but the car won't turn over anymore. There is no clicking noise from the starter and I am at a loss. I have replaced the battery, starter and checked all my fuses and relays. Could it be my ignition switch or is it more likely to be something else? Thank you for any suggestions!
Last Edit: 24 Mar 2016 23:33 by jdtuff.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

No Start 24 Mar 2016 23:49 #18889

• Kiln_Red
Yes, it very likely is the ignition switch. Sometimes, though, the small yellow wire that corresponds to Terminal 50 breaks from its lead that is housed within the ignition switch. This lead can be re-soldered. I consider the ignition switch to be a maintenance item on 928s and I advocate that owners keep 2 working switches on hand. Usually, I encourage specific diagnostics. When the ignition switch is suspect, I make a rare exception. Replace the part and see what happens. Inspect and be careful handling the Terminal 50 wire during replacement. Repair if necessary.
Last Edit: 24 Mar 2016 23:51 by Kiln_Red.

No Start 25 Mar 2016 00:02 #18890

• jdtuff
  • Junior Forum Member
Thanks so much. I'll give it a try this week and see what happens!

No Start 18 May 2016 14:37 #19004

• jdtuff
  • Junior Forum Member
Hi, I tried the ignition cylinder, all the connecting wires and it was all to no avail. I'm starting to lean towards the neutral safety switch and I was hoping that there might be some insight into where that is and how to replace it? Thanks again!

No Start 30 Jun 2016 13:18 #19090

• Kiln_Red
I know it has been a little while now, but I wanted to follow up to see if this was resolved. If not, have you tried jumpering the starter relay?

No Start 13 Jul 2016 11:52 #19136

• 928mac
Jd, i want to be clear. When you say it stops, do you mean the engine guits turning but you can still hear the starter trying to turn it over?
Or does the electrical go dead and you hear no cranking, clicking, buzzing noise?

No Start 25 Jul 2016 18:23 #19193

• jdtuff
  • Junior Forum Member
Hi there! I meant that there were no noises or lights or engine cranking at all. However, I solved the issue! When I had put the old battery back into the car, I had twisted the positive cable for the battery breaking the wires inside of the insulation. I simply spliced the wires back together and the car fired right up! Thanks for your help
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 2.077 seconds