Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Can a rusty gas tank ooze through the back seats?

Can a rusty gas tank ooze through the back seats? 20 Dec 2015 20:32 #18642

• oilncanvas
  • New Forum Member
Was wondering if the goo oozing out of my back seats could stem from the gas tank but I've found the answer on rennlist. Thanks
Attachments:
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2015 22:23 by oilncanvas. Reason: Found the answer on rennlist
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can a rusty gas tank ooze through the back seats? 13 Jan 2016 13:06 #18695

• mm928
I see this is answered - feel free to share once it has been addressed
Good Luck!
1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

Can a rusty gas tank ooze through the back seats? 13 Jan 2016 15:21 #18698

• oilncanvas
  • New Forum Member
It was from mold. The hatch was infested with it, as there appears to be a leak from the bumper/hatch area. Someone mentioned the sunroof drain could cause it. The bumper seems to be an after market part and the tail lights arent aligned and bolted down properly...they're slightly open. I also think its after market because it appears the previous owner painted it without priming it so the paint is peeling off and the white surface is showing beneath. I bought another bumper that I'm currently waiting to arrive. Not sure if water could get into the hatch through the lights. I'm still working on the cleanup so some mold is still there but not as much as before. Im not sure how to get all of it out completely. I would have to pull the back panels up and also the back seats to see what lies there. Yesterday I took a picture of a stream of water entering the hatch area. I will post this pic along with the pic of the mold as I found it beneath the hatch carpet, how much I've cleaned, & a pic of how the lights arent flush with the bumper cover & the paint is peeling off. All advice is welcome. Thanks

Can a rusty gas tank ooze through the back seats? 13 Jan 2016 18:11 #18702

• mm928
I had a much smaller but similar issue from both a Sunroof and rear Hatch leak
Some thoughts:
1 - pull the rear seat bottoms out! It is bare metal under them and they are shaped like little swimming pools (at least on an 83) and the water just sits there an inch deep or so and saturates the foam on the underneath of the seat cushion! Likely your constant source of moisture for the mold
2 - replace the rear hatch seal, it is worth it and make sure it is properly aligned and seated afterwards, you can find some aftermarket and possibly a good condition used from a wrecked or donor car. Check 928 International for used and him or Roger at 928Rus for a new or aftermarket one. They are also not cheap but indispensable, unless you live in Phoenix,,,,,, :)
3 - Operate the Sunroof, get a flexible camera if possible, with a light on the end. look for DIYs on it. There are drains in the front and rear that are often clogged. You might get away with just cleaning them out.
4 - Might have a Sunroof seal leak too though of course
5 - I sat inside and had someone slowly and precisely pour water where I directed and looked for potential entry points, work your way from one end to the other.
You definitely need to get them all and then get it all dry or it will forever smell musty, you may need to replace the carpet if there is mode underneath.

Good luck!!!
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

Can a rusty gas tank ooze through the back seats? 13 Jan 2016 20:20 #18703

• oilncanvas
  • New Forum Member
Thanks for your insight. I threw the hatch carpet away after discovering mold beneath it. I'm going to look into cleaning out the sunroof drain. The sunroof actually isn't operable right now. It didn't work when I acquired the car a month ago. After reading your message, I went out to look at the condition of the hatch seal and it appears to be good but its possible it's leaking and I'm not able to tell. It isn't brittle or ripped in any areas but I'm sure it could still leak so I'm checking to see if the guy who sold me the bumper, has a hatch seal he wants to sell. The car is an 82 and when I removed the back seat cushions, I noticed the gray foam was saturated with water. I cleaned it out only to come back the next day and find it saturated again. That was before discovering the mold. It's been on my agenda to pull up the seats and the panels inside the hatch to see what's hiding beneath them. I'll look for some tutorial/procedural posts on rennlist for those projects. As I get the hatch dry and restored to its natural order, I'll provide an update with pics. Thanks again

Can a rusty gas tank ooze through the back seats? 14 Jan 2016 09:43 #18704

• mm928
Awesome, it sounds like you are looking at all the right places.... good luck and keep us posted.
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete

Can a rusty gas tank ooze through the back seats? 14 Jan 2016 15:37 #18706

• If something is worth doing it is worth OVER DOING!
  • pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
Nasty problem to have but not uncommon! Glad you got it figured out.
James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
80 Arrow Blue / Gray GT Class Racer
81 Light Blue Metallic / Brown-Beige
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black SuperBlu
95 Green / Black #51
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 2.725 seconds