Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: TINING BELT REPLACEMENT WOES

TINING BELT REPLACEMENT WOES 08 Dec 2015 12:01 #18634

• Old Dude
  • New Forum Member
1980 EURO
I'm having trouble finding timing marks on the cam sprockets. I see some etched lines, but they don't jive with each other or the back cover. The harmonic balancer is light blue, so apparently not original. It has regular timing marks up to 35 BTDC, but then has a pronounced stamped line (like with a chisel) about 45 deg ATDC. This is where the left cam sprocket appears to line up some marks, best as I can tell. I know your supposed to change at 45 deg BTDC, but wonder if 45 ATDC would be the same?! I suppose you can change the belt anywhere as long as the sprockets don't move?!
What say ye?
Last Edit: 08 Dec 2015 12:02 by Old Dude.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TINING BELT REPLACEMENT WOES 10 Dec 2015 17:01 #18635

• y33trekker
  • Junior Forum Member
Have you posted your question on the Rennlist 928 forum? You'll find a bit more traffic there and likely a quick answer.

Don't know much about these cars at this point or I'd be able to help more.

TINING BELT REPLACEMENT WOES 15 Dec 2015 12:08 #18637

• 928mac
Hey there Old Dude, no it is not a good idea to change the belt in any position.
The reason is the valves may contact the pistons when you are rolling the cams by hand to get them into their correct position.
this job takes a bit of strength and tim to set it up right.
Have you looked in our tech how to do it area? Technical Library, I believe there is step by step with pictures.
Yes it took me 3 mins to find this link, hope it helps.
www.928oc.org/technical_library/1979_Tim...r_Pump_Procedure.pdf
Last Edit: 15 Dec 2015 12:12 by 928mac.

TINING BELT REPLACEMENT WOES 22 Dec 2015 08:10 #18647

• Old Dude
  • New Forum Member
The 1980 is a "non-interference" engine. Found marks on left side, made marks on the right side. Due to using TDC vs 45 deg resulted in cams moving upon belt removal. I could move them back and get them to precariously stay on the mark due to valve spring pressure. New pump installed, tensioner cleaned with new boot. Deciding to replace tensioner bolt or not as suggested by the PDF you posted. Slowly getting it back together...
Moderators: mm928
Time to create page: 2.091 seconds