Our purpose is to support owners in their use and maintenance of the Porsche 928 and to foster camaraderie among owners throughout the world.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much?

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 12:55 #11452

• If something is worth doing it is worth OVER DOING!
  • pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
Guys,

Lets discuss this...

I just bought one of Constantine's nice RMB's that are a fair bit quieter than a plain Jane RMB, but louder and lighter than stock. I bought this for my '95 GTS and I'd like to install it AND high flow cats and an X-pipe at the same time!

My question is, where do I find both of those last two items and how much should I plan to spend AND are they bolt on or will I need to take them to my regular shop or even take them to a muffler shop???

Eventually I'd like to add some GT/custom cams to that car to get it a bit closer to what Roger is seeing on his '93 GTS (like 330 RWHP or something crazy like that!)

Roger, do you have any thoughts on this??? You have actually DONE IT to a GTS!
James
78 Silver / Black-white #295
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
88 Dark Blue / Linen-Black
92 Polar Silver / Dark Blue 92EURO
93 Arrow Blue / Black
The administrator has disabled public write access.

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 20:22 #11460

• Jon B.
  • Senior Forum Member
Is there nobody selling "Ott" X-pipes anymore? I'm fairly certain they were made to mate up to the stock exhaust rear sections, and could be had with cats.

I would think that Constantine might also have thoughts on this if you shot him an email. But, I would figure on finding whoever is making X's for our cars still and working from there back with whoever is gonna install it.

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 21:08 #11469

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
Constantine said to check in with Roger, he (and others) thought Roger had the full meal deal on this...not sure who was building his stuff, but they indicated that he did have all that I need, so I will shoot an email out and see what is up. Carl has some stuff, but looks like it all deletes the cats and I can't do that on the '95.
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 21:08 #11470

• 928mac
James, I am sure that the cats and X-pipe Roger sells just clamp on and there was an upgrade done last year to the sealing fiberglass under the clamps.
A search on RL (when its up again) should bring up lots of reading on that.
If the RMB is like the one I have, it just clamps on the same as the muffler and the hangers all lined up on my 89.

ILL help you look and post back here what I find

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 21:11 #11471

• 928mac

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 21:14 #11472

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
Brad, I think you are correct! I recall this info that you are talking about now. I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I had planned on doing it to my '92, but now with the '95 I am going to do that one instead. The nice thing is if I want to move it over to the other car it just unbolts from one and bolts on to the other.

The Constantine RMB mounts just like the regular RMB but is quieter. It should actually be the perfect answer for me on the '95. Everyone seems to think they are to loud with high flow, X and RMB, but then you put the stock muffler on and they are just about right...for me that would probably be to quiet, so something with a little more muffling ability like this BSRC RMB I am hoping will be the PERFECT blend! It is good looking too!
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 22:02 #11475

• 928mac
I dont think its to loud and I have straight pipes back to the small resonators and then a RMB.
It is only really loud if I hold it wide open in 1st.

When I am just cruising it is not much louder then stock and the straight pipe (no cats)(just resonators)

Some guys think its to loud but they may live in old-foggy areas and are whipped :D

I'm a big of a red neck but I also like to hear my stereo when cruising. :cool:

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 23:30 #11479

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
^^^^
LOL! Very good! I am more like you Brad, I want to hear the sound of my engine and it is nice to hear the tunes too when the mood suits me!
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 26 Sep 2012 23:40 #11480

• Jon B.
  • Senior Forum Member
928mac;11817 wrote:
Some guys think its to loud but they may live in old-foggy areas and are whipped :D

I'd have to agree a bit here. My car only has two small mufflers behind the high flow cats. I'm about to change them out for much nicer Borlas, but it's likely gonna still just be a lot of empty pipe with two small "resonators". I'm not sure you can really call Borla XR1s "mufflers". I'm hoping it's a tad bit louder than it currently is.

My Lightning has full-length longtubes with no cats, and two "mufflers" from Bassani. That thing gets it! Not to mention the included Banshee-like wail from the supercharger.

The Mustang I just sold had shorty headers, no cats, and single chamber Flowmasters. Along with a pretty rowdy cam it was LOUD.

Now, I'm not trying to make my 928 like these, just saying that "loud" is all relative.

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 27 Sep 2012 15:01 #11488

• mm928
I have Roger's stuff made by the same people he is currently advertising at the "other" site for 32v cars. It seems to be pretty guality and perf was really improved, (85/86 manifolds helped a lot as well) I got a 3in Y and SS cats for my 16V. He has the whole enchilada, as you Texas boys like to refer to it.... lol
1983 928S - 16v 4.7L L-Jetronic
Dark Grey w/ Blue Leather
85/86 exhaust manifolds
Y-Pipe
SS Hi-perf Cat
S4 springs
Bilstein shocks
Air pump delete
VIN: WP0JB0926DS861180
- - Isn't Life great? - -

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 27 Sep 2012 16:31 #11490

The Ott X that was off market for many years was further refined by the good folks in Utah to produce optimum hp after extensive dyno tests. Dave Lomas then marketed/sold the X pipes but after a short time had Roger take over all sales. It is these same X pipes and hi perf cats Roger sells today.

wrt to sound.......no Brad its not that we're getting old/fuddy duddy but like to hear ourselves think, enjoy our tunes and avoid being ticketed when exploring the speeds of our cars without announcing to the world we're doing so. My S4 would set off car alarms when deccelerating in the city with the X, no cats, small resonators and RMB set up.

almost every car I looked at thats driven any kinda distance and uses an X has a proper rear muffler........not a RMB..........Constantines muffler seems to fit the bill........I use a GT rear muffler on my S4 with the X, no cats, small resonators.

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 27 Sep 2012 18:30 #11491

• pcar928fan
  • Platinum Forum Member
malcolm;11832 wrote:
almost every car I looked at thats driven any kinda distance and uses an X has a proper rear muffler........not a RMB..........Constantines muffler seems to fit the bill.

This is what I am hoping! I'll report back when all is in place and I have had time to enjoy it!
James
84 Ruby Red / Black AO84
93 Arrow Blue / Black

X-pipe and High Flow Cats...where to buy and how much? 27 Sep 2012 22:45 #11495

• 928mac
malcolm;11832 wrote:
The Ott X that was off market for many years was further refined by the good folks in Utah to produce optimum hp after extensive dyno tests. Dave Lomas then marketed/sold the X pipes but after a short time had Roger take over all sales. It is these same X pipes and hi perf cats Roger sells today.

wrt to sound.......no Brad its not that we're getting old/fuddy duddy but like to hear ourselves think, enjoy our tunes and avoid being ticketed when exploring the speeds of our cars without announcing to the world we're doing so. My S4 would set off car alarms when deccelerating in the city with the X, no cats, small resonators and RMB set up.

almost every car I looked at thats driven any kinda distance and uses an X has a proper rear muffler........not a RMB..........Constantines muffler seems to fit the bill........I use a GT rear muffler on my S4 with the X, no cats, small resonators.

Not saying yours or others is not to loud with a RMB, and mine dose rap at WOT, but at cruising speed mine is fine and does not resonate loud in the car.
Deb and I can talk and hear each other fine at 80-90 mph so I don't know what is so different from my car to others.
Maybe I am defer then most
Moderators: Rich928, mm928, billvvOC
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds